The University of Southern California (USC) offers teaching professionals the ability to expand knowledge and increase professional growth through a number of dynamic online Masters of Arts degree programs. USC was established during 1880 as a private, non-profit research university based within Los Angeles, California.
Other Featured M.Ed. Programs
As the first and largest university to offer online Masters of Education programs, USC is ranked by the US World and News Report as one of the best universities offering online instruction through the Rossier School of Education. USC’s online programs are flexible, convenient, and highly interactive, offering students 24 hour access to the latest technology and course information within a highly supportive learning environment.
– Completion of the Online Graduate Admissions application
– Payment of $ nonrefundable application fee
– A bachelor degree from an accredited college or university
– Record of personal and professional leadership involvement within professional associations, civic endeavors, campus organizations, community groups, and school volunteering.
– Personal Essays indicating personal, education, and professional experiences as well as the applicants commitment to a profession within higher education (750 words) or the previous experiences and personal abilities, interests, and goals which will strengthen
education on a local, national, and global scale (500 words)
– Resume including personal, educational, extracurricular, volunteer, leadership, and professional experiences
– Recommendation letters
– Official GRE scores
– Official academic transcripts from all attended colleges and universities
– Official TOEFL scores for applicants whose native language is not English
– Confidential Financial Statement or Verification of Funds for applicants who are not residents of the U.S.
Tuition for online Masters of Education programs is based upon a cost per unit fee of $1,420. Total tuition is an estimated $73,525 for full time students and $72,371 for part time students.
Graduate students within USC’s online Masters of Education program have a number of financial aid options which include:
– Subsidized Stafford Loans
– Unsubsidized Stafford Loans
– Graduate PLUS Loans
Departmental, State, or Federal Grants
– Work Study Programs
Private and Alternative Loans from sources like: Broke Scholar, CollegeBoard, College Net, FastWeb, FinAid, Go College, SRN Express, SuperCollege.com, Yahoo! Education Financial Aid, International Scholarship Search Engines, eduPASS, International Scholarship Search, International Student and Study Abroad Resource Center.
Scholarships, Assistantships, Fellowships, and Awards
– Rossier School Of Education Scholarships
– USC Scholarships
– Town and Gown Scholarships
– Asian Pacific Alumni Association
– Black Alumni Association Scholarship
– Lambda LGBT Alumni Association Awards
– Doug Elliott Scholarship in Education
– USC Medican American Alumni Association Scholarship
– Norman Topping Student Aid Fund
– Rockwell Dennis Hunt Scholarship Award
– Straightforward Media Scholarship
– ACS-Hach Second Career Teacher Scholarship
– American Federation of Teachers Award
– Robert G. Porter Scholars Program
– All-ink.com Scholarships
– American Association of University Women Educational Foundation
– American Fellowships
– American Indian Graduate Center Scholars
– American School Counselor Association Foundation Scholarship
– Congressional Hispanic Caucus Institute Scholarship Awards
– Ford Foundation Fellowships For Minorities
– Jacob Javits Fellowships
– Latino College Dollars
– La Unidad Latina Foundation, Inc.
– League of United Latin American Citizens National Scholarship Fund
– Millennium Momentum Foundation, Inc.
– National Association for the Advancement of Colored People Scholarships
– National Association for Campus Activities
– Paul and Daisy Soros Fellowships For New Americans
– P.E.O. International Peace Scholarship Fund
– Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program
– SchoolsFirst FCU Loans
– United Negro College Fund
Veterans and Dependents Benefits and Financial Aid Programs
– Yellow Ribbon Scholarships
Tuition Prepayment Plans
Graduate Employment Positions
– APLE Program
The University of Southern California’s online Masters of Education offered through the Rossier School of Education features a versatile graduate program combined with specialized studies within a number of fields. Candidates may concentrate studies within Master of Arts in Teaching, Master of Arts in Teaching – Teaching English To Speakers of Other Languages, Master of Education School Counseling, Master of Education Postsecondary Administration and Student Affairs, Master of Education in Educational Counseling, and Master of Education in K-12 Leadership specializations.
Master of Arts in Teaching courses include: instruction for teaching English as a new language, teaching science in secondary classrooms, foundations of literacy development and instruction, integrating literacy in secondary content instruction, new media literacies in high needs schools, teaching mathematics in secondary classrooms, teaching English Language Arts in secondary classrooms, framing the social context of high needs schools, application of theories of learning to classroom practice, human differences, teaching social studies in secondary classrooms, teaching physical education, visual and performing arts in elementary subjects, integrating English language arts and social studies, culture learning in schools: Latino, teaching mathematics and science, guided practice, capstone portfolio in learning and instruction, leading a music program in a public school setting, using technology in the classroom, teaching public school instrumental music, teaching and conducting public school instrumental ensembles, teaching general/choral music for instrumentalists, teaching general music K-8, teaching and conducting public school choral ensembles, teaching instrumental music for vocalists, motivation and discipline in the music classroom, vocal pedagogy in the public school classroom, and directed teaching: public school music.
Master of Arts in Teaching – Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages courses include: the framing experience, understanding the social context of urban schools, teaching in an international and intercultural context, the application of theories of learning to classroom practice, human differences and teaching special populations, TESOL pedagogy I, TESOL pedagogy II, instruction for limited-English proficient students, and capstone portfolio in learning and instruction.
Master of Education – School Counseling courses include: ethical and legal issues in counseling; behavior management in the classroom; counseling and collaboration consultation in the school setting; development, administration, and evaluation of pupil personnel services; theories in counseling; school counseling practicum; school counseling field experiences; learning and individual differences; human lifespan development; statistical inference; the counseling process; school counseling seminar; measurement procedures for counselors; career development: theory and process; group counseling: theory and process; and cross cultural counseling research and practice.
Master of Education in Postsecondary Administration and Student Affairs courses include: foundations of higher education, student affairs work in college, student development in higher education; politics of difference; management of student service in higher education; statistical inference; applied educational ethnography; fiscal support and expenditure in higher and postsecondary education; intervention strategies in college; legal issues in the administration of higher education; higher education administration in China; survey of student disabilities in higher education; academic advising in postsecondary education; career development: theory and practice, the community college; the counseling process; theory and practice; and curriculum, teaching and learning in higher, adult, and professional education. Students within this program can concentrate studies in student affairs, academic advising, or athletic affairs disciplines. Courses within the student affairs concentration include: intervention strategies in college, legal issues in the administration of higher education, higher education in china, and survey of student disabilities in higher education. Courses within the academic advising concentration include: academic advising in postsecondary education; career development: theory and practice; the community college; the counseling process: theory and practice; and curriculum, teaching and learning in higher, adult, and professional education. Courses within the athletic administration concentration include: ethics in athletic administration, student athlete in higher education, gender issues in athletic administration, athletic administration, and curriculum, teaching, and learning in higher, adult, and professional education.
Master of Education in Counseling courses include: foundations of higher education, student affairs work in college, student development in higher education, politics of difference, academic advising in postsecondary education, the community college, the counseling process: theory and practice, ethical and legal issues in counseling, theories in counseling, learning and individual differences, career development: theory and process, and group counseling: theory and process.
Other Featured M.Ed. Programs
USC will offer an online Master of Education in K-12 Leadership during the Fall of 2012. Courses are expected to include: leadership; educational entrepreneurship; human capital and school organization; community, culture, and context; social media and technology; research methods; learning and instruction; data-driven instruction; integrative capstone course.
Graduates who complete online masters degree programs gain the educational basis necessary to qualify as professional leaders within the educational system.